By AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION NEWS
Winners of the Take Avocado to Heart recipe contest were announced Wednesday, with a creamy avocado dip, fajita-stuffed tomatoes, and an avocado and blueberry smoothie bowl topping the list of winners.
The American Heart Association and Fresh Avocados – Love One Today selected first, second and third place winners in three categories. All recipes follow the AHA’s nutrition criteria.
Winners in the appetizer category are:
- First place: Velvety Avocado Pesto Dip from Melissa Lanes of Raleigh, North Carolina
- Second place: Avocado Ginger Lemon Vichyssoise from Hidemi Wash of Centreville, Virginia
- Third place: Oaxacan Avocado Appetizer from Roxanne Chan of Albany, California
Winners in the entrée category are:
- First place: Rockfish Fajita-Stuffed Tomatoes from Amy Angelo of Pennsville, New Jersey
- Second place: Avo-Fredo Zoodles from Emily Irvin, R.D., of Oxford, Mississippi
- Third place: Southwestern Avocado Bell Pepper Quiche Cups from Charlotte Martin, R.D., of Baltimore, Maryland
Winners in the desserts and smoothies category are:
- First place: Zesty Avocado and Wild Blueberry Smoothie Bowl from Merry Graham of Newhall, California
- Second place: Avocado Dark Chocolate Glazed Donuts from Julie Andrews, R.D., of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
- Third place: Chocolate Avocado Chia Pudding from Doreen Brane of Broadview Heights, Ohio
Each winner received up to $1,000 and had their recipe published on AHA’s online Recipe Hub.